Sign in to follow this  
EK905

KL691 - EHAM to CYYZ Part 1

In preparation for VATSIM’s Cross the Pond event, where I’ll be flying from Toronto CYYZ to Amsterdam Schiphol EHAM, I’ve been refreshing myself on Schiphol and its procedures. Now, a week to go until the event, it is time to go do the same for Toronto.

I will be flying EHAM-CYYZ as KLM31 (KL691), with a Boeing 777-200, PH-BQG. I’d like to take you on the trip with me and tell the story with emphasis on the procedures used. Here we go!

P3D v4 add-ons used:

• PMDG 777-200LR
  • FlyTampa EHAM
  • FlyTampa CYYZ
  • Active Sky for P3D v4
  • Active Sky Cloud Art
  • ENVTEX texture enhancement package
  • PTA + PTAbsolute for shaders
  • PFPX + TOPCAT
  • Navigraph Charts + Navdata

Let’s start with flight planning. First we’ll look at the North Atlantic Tracks (NAT) available this morning:

6c6a7yt.png

NATs and our direct great circle routing.

It would seem that A and B are the only reasonable ones for us, since winds are somewhat similar on all tracks. While planning routes from EHAM to entry points of these tracks, I realised that an active military airspace to the East of the UK prevents an efficient route from EHAM to NAT A, so NAT B ends up being the best option.

PBobJfN.png

Restricted active military airspace in red.

Route planning on the other side of the pond is way more straightforward and much less limited. We get the optimal route from NAT B’s final fix URTAK to CYYZ. Here’s our route in full:

Pvp9Ka5.png

BERGI UL602 MIMVA L602 TLA DCT GOMUP 59N020W 61N030W 61N040W 60N050W URTAK N746A ALSOP N730A YKL MT YXI IMEBA3

Our initial cruise level will be FL360. As we reach oceanic airspace, we will step climb to FL370 first, then FL380. Later, over Canada, we will do the final step to FL400 around 500 nautical miles from CYYZ.

Now let's see what kind of a weather we can expect enroute. According to the significant weather charts, there is a jetstream and heavy turbulence at altitude at the very beginning of the cruise. Crossing the atlantic, there seems to be nothing concerning us. Near our destination there will be another jetstream around FL300, which may cause some shakes on our descent, but we might just miss it entirely.

lf0FglF.png

Important areas circled in red.

vJA6YbY.png

Arrived at gate E9 one hour before departure, with our plane empty and ready for departure prepping.

n2Qolfn.png

Stepping into the cockpit

We are starting at EHAM from gate E9. Runway 36L is in use for departures, so we are expecting a long taxi through the fields of Schiphol. Our first enroute fix is BERGI, so BERGI 3V departure should take us there from 36L. Taking a quick scroll through the EHAM NOTAMs, there’s nothing concerning our departure.

Amsterdam Radar has showed up to work this morning. We give EHAM ATIS a listen. Nothing surprising there, and I call Radar for clearance:

Me: “Amsterdam Radar, good morning! KLM31 is a Boeing 777-200 at gate E9. Information Echo, QNH 1016. Requesting clearance to Toronto.”

Amsterdam Radar: “KLM31, good morning! You are cleared to Toronto via runway 24, BERGI 1S departure, squawk 2111.”

I read back the clearance and Radar asks us to report when ready for pushback and startup.

So, instead of the active 36L, Amsterdam decided to give us 24 for departure. Probably because of the shorter taxi, and that’s just fine. We just need to recalculate our takeoff performance.

Scd3uLI.png

The taxi we were expecting in red, and the taxi we are getting in green. A pleasant surprise!

8F9Ppeh.png

BERGI 1S departure that we were given.

At this point we have begun boarding. Here are a couple of airside pictures:

aDwMhhp.png

Cargo being loaded in lovely October weather. A Thomson 737 taxiing in the background.

qBciAZA.png

Another KLM triple preparing for pond crossing at E5.

Despite the change of plans, we have the cockpit and FMC ready before all cargo has been loaded. The other KLM 777 has just taxied on their way for runway 24, so we have the apron for ourselves and are ready to start as soon as the ground crew are done with loading. We start the APU and disconnect the jetway.

RJWi9AL.png

Ready to go!

Soon after the last luggage tug pulls away. We get to close the cargo doors and ask the ground crew for the pushback truck. At this point we are still 9 minutes to our scheduled departure time of 0940, so we wait a couple of minutes for our slot time.

SrfmMUn.png

Ground crew waiting to start pushing.

Eventually we call Amsterdam Radar for pushback and startup. He approves and gives us the new local QNH, now 1017.

f4ZYiro.png

Starting #2 during pushback.

pAmENVq.png

Passenger view of the terminal and flaps set to 5 for takeoff.

3JrUoxb.png

“Have a good trip!” say the ground crew and scramble for shelter from the downpour.

We call ready for taxi, and get our routing via A to holding point S7 at the end of runway 24.

v4JTrv5.png

Turned on the weather radar when leaving the apron. I expected nothing less…

We arrive at holding point S7, configured and ready for takeoff. With no other traffic, we get our takeoff clearance immediately.

kG9P4GV.png

Entering the runway.

lXxluPD.png

Rolling, thrust set, and radar looking red as ever! Amsterdam Radar just handed a text pilot off to Bremen Radar.

80 knots, V1, rotate! We leave the runway and immediately the winds reveal their intentions. At 400ft we engage autopilot to lighten the workload, but the windshear is so severe, that our IAS keeps dropping dangerously close to stall speeds. We have to disconnect AP and fly by hand.

KqY17qF.png

Airborne!

Me: “KLM31 airborne passing 1400ft”

Radar: “KLM31, radar contact. Climb FL240.”

We set altimeter to standard and continue climbing along BERGI 1S.

0HDcXLf.png

Emerging above the thunderstorm, view from the tail cam.

tUBu0XS.png

Wings bouncing up and down!

Finally at FL200, the turbulence eases a little bit, and we engage the AP. When reaching FL220, Amsterdam Radar comes on again:

Radar: “KLM31, climb FL360, direct MIMVA”

Me: “Climb FL360, direct MIMVA, KLM31, thank you!”

With low traffic, we are cleared to climb all the way to cruise altitude, and given a shortcut to our Amsterdam FIR exit point.

PscHAkM.png

Direct to MIMVA. Seatbelts are not coming off until we’re clear of those red clusters!

From here on out it was all very simple. We managed to climb over the last of the storm, and Amsterdam released us to the unicom frequency.

RUNCEMu.png

Leaving the last of Scotland behind.

And that’s the departure. I will post the arrival later, given that P3D remains cooperative. Right now we are somewhere between Iceland and Greenland enjoying the view of solid fluffy cloud coverage below us.

Let me know if there's some detail I left out that would have interested you! And thanks for reading :)

Cool pics - lovely set and weather.

EHAM from FlyTampa ? How did you get EHAM working in P3D v4 ? I have little problems with the elveation, means

the aircraft stands on little "hills" and taxiway's / runway's are deeper than the aircraft. I started AEC by ORBX but nothing changed.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Thanks and regards

Wonderful post, interesting to see your preparations! From what I have heard, it has been very rainy in the Netherlands indeed, so no surprise about the red radar. Looking forward to part 2!

I think that Thomson 737 is a Tui/Arke 737 though... :P

EHAM from FlyTampa ? How did you get EHAM working in P3D v4 ? I have little problems with the elveation, means

the aircraft stands on little "hills" and taxiway's / runway's are deeper than the aircraft. I started AEC by ORBX but nothing changed.

Thanks and regards

Did you apply the patch found on the Fly Tampa website?

Thanks and regards

Hmm sorry, but it has worked for me from the beginning :/ I have FTX Global and Vector, and later installed OpenLC Europe, and EHAM has worked fine at all stages. I have only run AEC auto-config, and it didn't move EHAM into the disabled side. The only thing I have noticed wrong is missing PAPI lights... That does sound like an AEC issue though... strange.

Wonderful post, interesting to see your preparations! From what I have heard, it has been very rainy in the Netherlands indeed, so no surprise about the red radar. Looking forward to part 2!

I think that Thomson 737 is a Tui/Arke 737 though... :P

Thank you, this is the way I like to post my screenshots. I don't prepare for every flight like this though :-) For this story I tried to make it as realistic as I can and have patience for. Although, not sure how realistic it is that the pilot makes the flightplan :awesome: Yeah, I guess you're right about the 737. Their callsign was TOM so it's TUI these days then?

And I'm sorry to say, but there will be no part 2 :( P3D froze on me. Event viewer says it was caused by ntdll.dll :turd: I don't yet know what to do to prevent this from happening again, but a solution would be needed :/

Good luck! Gotta hate these CTDs...

Wow, what a post ! Thank you for sharing this ! I fly in IVAO too, the ATC sometimes feel so much more realistic.

That was a very interesting read (and a lot of effort!), thanks. I particularly enjoyed the planning considerations, that's something into which I have little insight.

Very detailed mate - thanks for sharing :)

Very interesting walkthrough Aleksi!

Looking forward for part 2!

and 3 and 4 and,,,

Wow, what a post ! Thank you for sharing this ! I fly in IVAO too, the ATC sometimes feel so much more realistic.

Thank you Guillaume :) yes, the problem with AI traffic and AI ATC is that there is no way to make them follow real world procedures perfectly. After getting used to online flying, it is really difficult for me to go offline. Not saying either option is "better", to each their own.

Also, I hate that there are two separate networks for online. I don't think IVAO and VATSIM are any different, they might as well merge and we'd have double traffic on online skies :pilotfly:

That was a very interesting read (and a lot of effort!), thanks. I particularly enjoyed the planning considerations, that's something into which I have little insight.

Thanks, yeah, I always forget how much effort these take. I was four hours into the flight when I got this posted :facepalm: it's rewarding though :)

Very detailed mate - thanks for sharing :)

My pleasure, thanks for reading ^^

Very interesting walkthrough Aleksi!

Looking forward for part 2!

and 3 and 4 and,,,

Hahah, thank you! I will try and make something out of the Cross the Pond event next weekend, but there will be much less planning and much more chaos. Excessive traffic combined with insufficient ATC :woot:

Great post Alexi and of course some sweet shots! :thumbsup:

Just two minor things...you know there´s no need for filing NAT Tracks, don´t you? If you find a better routing outside the track system you are always able to file and fly a random Atlantic routing. But I guess on that day Track B was a good choice when looking at the sig wx chart. Guess headwinds were too strong between Track B and C so Track B was the most economic routing to YYZ :wink: ...the other minor thing is the turbulence area east of Great Britain. That´s just moderate turbulence instead of heavy turbulence :wink:

Again...great post! Keep them coming :banana:

Great post Alexi and of course some sweet shots! :thumbsup:

Just two minor things...you know there´s no need for filing NAT Tracks, don´t you? If you find a better routing outside the track system you are always able to file and fly a random Atlantic routing. But I guess on that day Track B was a good choice when looking at the sig wx chart. Guess headwinds were too strong between Track B and C so Track B was the most economic routing to YYZ :wink: ...the other minor thing is the turbulence area east of Great Britain. That´s just moderate turbulence instead of heavy turbulence :wink:

Again...great post! Keep them coming :banana:

Thank you for the constructive criticism :) I'm not an expert at any of this. I've understood that the NAT tracks are highly preferable in the real world. Helps the ATC keep you separated and gives you a smooth flight as planned with minimum altitude or speed restrictions. Of course, those benefits are nonexistent when flying on VATSIM on a regular day.

Very interesting post, Aleksi. :thumbsup: Can't wait for Pt.II

And I'm sorry to say, but there will be no part 2 :( P3D froze on me. Event viewer says it was caused by ntdll.dll :turd: I don't yet know what to do to prevent this from happening again, but a solution would be needed :/

What traffic do you use and is the military aircraft active? It could also be a graphics driver that updated incorrectly, used to happen to me all the time.

Great set. B)

Chris knows due to his profession.

As Matthew said, related to faulty drivers. Mostly GPU but might be good to check whether other hardware drivers are current.

Thank you for your suggestions. I've been looking around, and apparently these dll errors could be anything, but I'm 99% sure it is GPU related. I've had P3D crash three times now, and on both two of the occasions I had GPU monitoring on, its usage went up to 100%. I've just updated the drivers after the first crashes, and still got one, although no dll error, this time "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

What traffic do you use and is the military aircraft active? It could also be a graphics driver that updated incorrectly, used to happen to me all the time.

I use VATSIM, and UTLive models for vPilot model matching. Don't think that's the problem, though. Like I said, just updated the drivers in between of the crashes, maybe I need to fiddle around with them a little more...

I have 1080ti and 95-100% is pretty normal with P3Dv4 for the entire flight. Temps get up to 72C.

I have 1080ti and 95-100% is pretty normal with P3Dv4 for the entire flight. Temps get up to 72C.

Wow seriously? :o I'm going too easy on mine, then... mine's usually 30-60%, with these infrequent spikes to 100%. Temps usually in the sixties, with occasional low 70s

EDIT: I'm guessing you use resolution more than 1080p? :angel39:

Very similar indeed. Love the RGB, custom cables and the Phanteks case :thumbsup:

Currently flying this flight for the third time after a full re-install of display drivers, some graphical changes and removing my GPU overclock. Probably should've done that last step right away, but I didn't want it to be the solution :(

Let's see if what they say about the third time is true...

wQ0tTjj.png

Here's what MSI afterburner is telling me during overcast cruise at FL360. Gotta monitor power as well, in case there's a shortage of that stuff for some reason.